Melomakarona (Traditional Christmas cookies)
Servings: approximately 40 pieces
For the cookies
3-3.5 cups of flour
1 cup ACAIA or Aeolian Olive extra virgin olive oil
4 tbsp cognac
½ cup fresh orange juice
2/3 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp clove powder
1 tsp cinnamon powder
For the honey syrup
2 cups of water
1 cup white sugar
grated orange peel
½ cup honey
½ cup walnuts chopped
1. Place all cookie ingredients into a large bowl and knead very gently by hand, adding as much flour as necessary so that the dough becomes smooth and soft.
2. Cover two baking trays with baking paper. Using dough approximately the size of a walnut, form the melomakarona into oblong-shaped pieces, and place them on the baking trays.
3. Bake each tray separately at 390°F (200°C ) for 20-30 minutes until the melomakarona are lightly browned. Remove from oven and let them cool.
4. To prepare the syrup, put all of the ingredients for the honey syrup into a pan and bring to a boil; let boil for approximately 5 minutes.
5. Pour the syrup over the melomakarona and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
The dough should not be kneaded too long because it will become very hard.
You can make the syrup ahead of time and pour over the melomakarona right after you take them out of the oven.