1 ½ lbs (0.7 kg) low-fat ground beef, or mixture of beef and pork
1 large onion, finely chopped
6 thick slices of bread without the crust
2 eggs, beaten
1 small glass of ouzo
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp vinegar
Salt, pepper, to taste
ACAIA or Aeolian Olive extra virgin olive oil for deep frying
1. Soak bread in water for approximately five minutes and then squeeze out the excess.
2. In a bowl, mix ground beef (or beef and pork mixture) with the bread, eggs, ouzo, oregano, cumin, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
3. Knead the mixture for five minutes, until all ingredients are well mixed.
4. Form medium-sized balls and slightly press them to flatten.
5. Coat with flour and fry in ACAIA or Aeolian Olive extra virgin olive oil until golden brown.
6. When done, place on paper towels to remove excess oil.