1 whole chicken, (3.3 lbs or 1.5 kg)
12 oz (350g) chestnuts, pre-cooked
3 tbsp raisins
4 tbsp pine nuts
1 tsp brown sugar
½ tbsp cinnamon
1 cup water
½ cup ACAIA or Aeolian Olive extra virgin olive oil
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
½ cup orange juice
1 tsp thyme
½ cup parsley, chopped
2 tbsp mustard
salt, pepper, to taste
1. First prepare the chestnut stuffing. In a medium casserole, place the chestnuts and add raisins, pine nuts, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, pepper, and 1 cup water; boil together until all liquids have evaporated.
2. In a shallow casserole, sauté the sliced onions in the ACAIA or Aeolian Olive extra virgin olive oil; add the chestnut mixture and let boil until most of the liquid has evaporated.
3. In a small bowl, mix the orange juice, salt, pepper, thyme and parsley. Rub this mixture on the exterior and interior of the chicken.
4. Use the chestnut stuffing to fill the chicken and close the chicken with toothpicks.
5. Rub the chicken with mustard, cover, and bake it in oven, at 300°F (150°C) for 1.5 - 2 hours until no longer pink at the bone.